Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Planning my London trip

I got an e-mail from my Ph.D. supervisor today. I have not heard anything from him for most of the summer. The last time was before I left Alexandria to come out to Arivaca. We are going to set up some time to meet during the five days I am back in London. The conference is only two days. I am thinking, the 2nd of November which is the day before the conference would be best for us to meet. It is also the one year anniversary of my oral defense. It is a Wed. this year. Unfortunately, I do not think my supervisor has any more advice for me on finding a job than he and other people have already given me.

But, maybe the cotton people will have a job for me. I am thinking fair trade cotton like they have fair trade coffee. A good slogan would be, "Do not buy clothes from my competitor. He uses cotton picked by child labor in Uzbekistan that pays to prop up the Karimov dictatorship." I think it would work. They need somebody like me to explain the whole sordid history of cotton in Central Asia so they can develop a proper advertising campaign.

3 comments:

Siel said...

Ah -- a fair trade advocate. Perhaps you might take the Starbucks Challenge?

J. Otto Pohl said...

There is no Starbucks in Arivaca. Our one coffee shop already sells only fair trade coffee.

Frank said...

I'm sorry, JOP, but you're sloganing skills are crap. It needs some PIZZAZZ, some PEP, some (dare I say it?) MOXIE!