Sunday, October 16, 2005

More Arivaca Fashion

Today's trip into Arivaca was pretty uneventful. We went to the coffee shop first. Then we went to the farmer's market. The woman who sells prickly pear jelly was not there. So we left empty handed. We then went to the Arivaca Dollar Market for the first time. Almost everything is a dollar. Some stuff is $1.20 or $1.25. I got a Chinese knockoff of a Swiss Army Knife for a dollar and it gives new meaning to the word shoddy. But, I shouldn't expect too much for a dollar. The one commodity that cost more than a dollar at the store are tie dye shirts. They cost eight dollars. Of course I have been planning on acquiring the traditional folk costume of Arivaca Man for some time. So yes, I purchased one and now have the full Arivaca uniform.

I am still having serious connectivity problems. So updates may be sporadic. I was supposed to receive the papers from the other participants of the upcomming cotton conference by e-mail today. I hate it when academics are late. The same professors who penalize undergraduates for late work are far worse themselves when it comes to meeting deadlines. I personally think any professor who misses a deadline should be fired. Earlier in my life I would have advocated execution, but I have grown considerably more tolerant recently.

6 comments:

Chris Conway said...

Your tolerant ways are intolerable.

--Confucius, "The Way of the Swan" Part I

Chris O'Byrne said...

I'm worried about the connection problems you are having since so much of my work is done through the internet. Do you think it is a problem with your phone line? What company do you use to dial in? AOL?

J. Otto Pohl said...

Chris, the phone line itself is fine. I called California last night. It is making a connection to the internet and keeping that connection that is a problem. Right now I am using AOL because that is what my father left on this machine. If I try and connect during the day I get dozens of error messages all relating to my modem. I have identified 10 different error messages. At anyrate no matter how hard I try it has not let me connect between 9 am and 9 pm for the last couple of days.

Sara Mathewson said...

Could you post a pic of yourself in your Arivaca man costume? I love tie-dye, so I should fit in quite well.

J. Otto Pohl said...

Sarah:

Tie-dye shirts are the fashion here. I will post photographs if I can get the technology to cooperate. I have a digital camera working its way to me through UPS.

Chris O'Byrne said...

Well, I do A LOT of computer troubleshooting. I'll take a look once you get back from London.