Saturday, October 01, 2005

Arivaca phone book

The Arivaca phone book came today. It looks like Arivaca has a lot more people than I thought. It looks like a little over 300 people, about double my original estimate. Some people including my uncle are not listed so it is hard to get an exact count. A couple of things surprised me. First, that Arivaca even has its own phone book. But, it has its own newspaper so I should not have been really surprised. Second, there is a Baha'i center along with two Baptist, one Catholic and one non-denominational church. That seems like a lot of religion for only 300 people. I had thought there was just one Baptist and one Catholic church in town. Finally, the number of Spanish names in the phone book is a lot fewer than I thought. Only about 25 out of 300, about a third of what I would have guessed given what I have seen in town. Obviously, a higher proportion of people working in visible jobs in town are of Mexican heritage than the population as a whole. It is a nice little phone book. Maybe next year it will have my uncle listed.

12 comments:

Flipside said...

Dude. You have waaay too much time on your hands...

J. Otto Pohl said...

Yes I do.

Chris O'Byrne said...

According to the 2000 census, within a 3-mile radius of Arivaca proper there are 700 people, only 175 which are of Hispanic. 607 are white and the median age is 48. The average annual income is a whopping $32,000, while the median income is only $22,000. The male to female ratio is pretty much even.

KRISTIN said...

Sounds like a place i would like to live in :D

J. Otto Pohl said...

Chris, if there are 607 Anglos and 175 Latinos then the total population is 782 not 700. That sounds about right for a total population. I was counting listings. Each household probably has an average of a little over 2.5 people.

Kristin feel free to come on down. According to statistics given by Chris we have a shortage of women. :-)

KRISTIN said...

ahaa... "The male to female ratio is pretty much even" means "a shortage of women"?? LOL
Like I said - I admire the way you think!!
OK, one question (and I'm serious): what can I do for living over there? I can do pretty much nothing except for writing, drawing and singing (and i suck at all of them LOL) Would you hire me as a toad shepherd? A counter of bugs that have drown themselves into your water glass? I could do THAT, I definitely could do that... (was watching Rain Man just yesterday LOL) "I'M AN EXCELLENT DRIVER" - NOT! :P

J. Otto Pohl said...

Kristin:

Well, food preparation is an option here I guess. You could pick mesquite beans and make prickly pear glaze.

You could translate all my writing into Estonian. I could pay you a $1.58 every six months. :-)

What do you do for work in Tallinn?

KRISTIN said...

You're a curmudgeon, otto!
:(

Like all high-school-drop-outs I SELL something. Mainly faith and hope LOL... Can get some for myself at net value daily, in moderate amounts though ;) But it's cheap :D :D :D

J. Otto Pohl said...

Kristin:

Sorry, if the question offended you.

KRISTIN said...

Offended??? :O
Is my English really that bad? :(
I thought I was just a little self-ironic ;) Sorry if I offended YOU! :P

J. Otto Pohl said...

No, your English is quite good and I am not offended. But, your response was similar to the standard one given by many Americans who do consider the question rude. At anyrate it is not important. I do not judge people by the type of work they do. I am very unusual among Americans in that respect.

Chris O'Byrne said...

Everything will change drastically once Sara and I move there, the population wil increase by 0.3%! At least the male/female ratio will remain fairly constant.

And kit... come on down! Or over.