Friday, September 30, 2005

Progress

I got most of the office cleaned up today. I still need to reassemble a pdf file on the GULag I printed out and forgot to put a paper weight on top of. But, I tossed all the excess papers strewn about by the wind. I am going to organize the papers either tonight or tommorrow.

I got the first job application put together to send out. I will be doing at least one a day until the small pile is finished. Again thanks to everybody who gave me advice on the cover letter. I found the advice of New Kid on the Hall, Artichoke Heart and Miriam to be the most useful. I tried to show that I had a thought out plan of how I would teach even if it had never been put into practice. This first application asked for sample syllabi, so I think I have a shot at convincing them to give me an interview. If it works great. If it does not then I have resolved not to be bitter about it. All that does is make me unpleasant to myself and others. I am resolving once again to maintain a positive attitude. What I do need to do is find some sort of alternative career, however, in the event that none of my academic job applications pan out this year. I am not sure where to look in this regards. I will be asking around at the cotton conference in London which will have a number of non-academic participants.

Sometimes I just have to look back on the last five years of life and remember that compared to a lot of my recent past now is a really good time. I am way past the nadirs of my life. My prayers go out to those people still stuck in their nadirs.

1 comment:

J. Otto Pohl said...

Thanks for stopping by. I didn't have the money to live in London another year so I finished early.