Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Comments

My comment threads suggest that I have very few interested readers. My guess is I have half a dozen at the most. It is difficult to tell without a site meter. I tried to install one once and nearly crashed the whole internet in my technical incompetence. But, I don't think it would differentiate the truly interested from casual readers. My profile says 520 people have visited it. This sounds very high to me. I suspect alot of them were one time visitors from links to a couple of my better publicized posts. No, I think the true measure of interest is the number of people who comment regularly. That leaves me with about half a dozen people. I wonder if there is any way to increase it?

4 comments:

Chris O'Byrne said...

Let's see... you could add pictures of naked women, fast cars, and smooth whiskey! Or you could send a lot of spam to people and when they try to click it off, your website keeps popping up. People really like that sort of thing.

Honestly, Otto, with your subject matter, I think you will always have a very small readership - in this country, at least. We are a very self-centered people and most of us do not even know the names of the leaders of Canada and Mexico!

J. Otto Pohl said...

Ok, I was thinking along the lines of getting my readership up to a couple dozen or so eventually. They do not have to be Americans. I will take readers from anywhere in the world.

New Kid on the Hallway said...

I think one of the commonest ways to increase readership is to leave comments on other people's blogs. Then if they don't know you and are curious, they'll click through to find out more about you. (I know this is how I found your blog, from a comment you left of mine.)

Of course, this also depends on finding blogs with relatively like-minded authors/readers - or I should say, like-minded in the sense of likely to be interested in your material (not thinking in lockstep or anything).

Disillusioned kid said...

Based on my experience your actual readership is likely to be much higher than the number of people commenting. Accoding to my sitemeter I've had about 60 visitors today, but I've only had one comment.