Saturday, September 03, 2005

Cannibalistic toads!

Some toads are cannibals. Today as I was digging up dirt from the creek bed to cover the pipes I was in the midst of hundreds of toads. So far I have discovered there are two distinct species of toads here. One has gotten pretty big by now. They are a kind of khaki color and seem to like to swim in the creek. The other type is much smaller and darker. They seem to prefer to hop on the land. The big toads like to eat the little toads. It was fascinating to watch.

I also noticed that the place has become bright purple with wild flowers and small butterflies of the same color. Intermixed with the purple butterflies are some larger black and red ones. I did, not, however witness any of the bigger butterflies eating the smaller ones.

4 comments:

Chris O'Byrne said...

Time to play the scientist...

First, if they are two different species, then they wouldn't be cannibalistic!

Second (and I am only guessing), I think the two species may be Couch's Spadefoot Toad and the Sonoran Desert Toad.

Now if we were talking birds, I would be much more confident.

J. Otto Pohl said...

Technically you are correct. But, cannibalistic sounds so much more sensational. The toads right now are still pretty small. But, some of the ones that came to spawn were quite large.

There are a lot of birds on the property. But, none eating other birds that I have seen.

Yesterday I did see my first tarantula.

Chris O'Byrne said...

Are you sure they weren't kabbalistic?
:)

J. Otto Pohl said...

Kabbalistic? No they were not Medieval Jewish mystics.