Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Grading Mid-Terms and other events in my life today

Today I moderated a very successful morning seminar presentation by Marc Becker on intermediaries in Ecuador during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. I also received a 700 cedi check I was not expecting from the university. But, I forgot the bank closed at 4:00 pm. I thought it closed at 4:30 so I did not get around to depositing it today. I have also started grading the pile of mid-term exams on my desk. So far the mid-terms for my students from main campus have been considerably better than in years past on average. I have now graded 10 out of 73, but the trend so far is very good. I think this cohort has benefited from better preparation during the last few years. Since I arrived here the history department has undergone a series of reforms aimed at improving the academic output of students. It appears to be paying off. They all seem to be remembering to include things like thesis statements and conclusions that were not always present in all the exams I have graded in the past.

No comments: