Monday, March 12, 2012

Looking for old issues of RAIN

Last night I saw an interesting end note in an old piece by Richard Jenkins. I have quoted the note below.

The intellectual resemblance between South African volkekunde and Soviet anthropology is too complicated a matter to discuss here: see, however the controversy in the pages of RAIN (Royal Anthropological Institute News), numbers 35, 36, 37 and 38 (1979-80).
I would love to get my hands on those issues of RAIN. I thought I was the only person in the world who noticed the similarities between Soviet and apartheid era South African anthropologists in focusing on a primordial conception of ethnicity. Current US scholars of the USSR certainly completely ignore these resemblances.  A preliminary search in the electronic catalog of the Balme Library did not turn up anything that looked remotely promising. If anybody knows where I might be able to acquire copies of the relevant articles please let me know.

2 comments:

Nina said...

tyYou should be able to access JSTOR at the University of Ghana through wifi or at the UG ICT Centre or at Balme Library. Copies of RAINS - which stopped in 1984 or so should be available electronically

J. Otto Pohl said...

Nina:

I found them on JSTOR. The Sharp article in issue 36 is particularly interesting.