Sunday, March 25, 2012

Hey where did all the bots go?

According to my stat counter my hits have been declining since December whereas before that they were rising. I am not sure if that means anything since I think most of those hits were by spam bots rather than humans. Other than the six people who have ever commented here and my mother I can not verify that I have or have had any other actual live readers. But, if I do have any actual readers perhaps they can provide some advice on how to move my audience up to double digits?

5 comments:

Leo Tolstoy said...

I told you before: change the name of the blog to "Otto's Randy Thoughts."

Seriously, start a Twitter account. Make references to your blog and put a link in the tweet. Might work. People do it a lot, that's for sure.

J. Otto Pohl said...

Walt:

Can'd do that. My mother reads this blog. Besides I think that particular market is over saturated.

Jeff said...

I am actual live human reader. I saw your comments somewhere and was curious. Crooked Timber maybe?

Jeff

LFC said...

If you installed Google Analytics (or perhaps some other similar thing), you could tell with more precision who was reading and how they got to the blog. My guess, at any rate, would be that most of the hits on your counter are humans rather than 'spam bots'.

J. Otto Pohl said...

I have whatever Blogger comes with automatically. It only tells me what countries people are from and what links they came by. The nature of many of the links look like they are of a bot nature. Also I get a lot of hits from countries that have nothing to do with this blog. I also suspect they are bots. What live humans in France and the Netherlands would be reading this blog? I have no family or close friends in either country.