Thursday, July 06, 2006

"Smashing a Perfectly Good Hookah"

Just before I left Arizona to come to California, my uncle dropped my hookah pipe and shattered the glass vase. It was a pretty cheap Egyptian model and I had gotten alot of smoking out of it in the 10 months I owned it. I had definitely gotten my $45.00 worth out of it. I thought about just replacing the base, but the hose was really worn and held together with duct tape. The bowl also had seen quite some wear and had a few chips. Finally, the grommets had been almost completely shot. I had long ago replaced the one joining the shaft to the bowl with aluminum foil. Yes, it worked fine and the held together with duct tape and aluminum foil look gave it a stunning visual authenticity. But, I figured I would take this opportunity to get a better crafted pipe, especially since Chris is comming to visit Serenity Ranch soon. So I ordered a new hookah today. It is a Syrian made model and comes with a chiller, carrying case, an extra hose, extra grommets, some premimum tobacco and many other goodies that my last narghile lacked. Most importantly it has a protective base covering so that it will not meet the fate of my last hookah. Including the cost of shipping it out to the ranch the whole thing cost $111.00. Soon we are going to be Smoking!

2 comments:

Chris O'Byrne said...

Syrian chiller, here I come!

Vilhelm Konnander said...

Nice with new shisha/narghile and a Syrian on at that. Last time I was in Syria, I almost bought a really cool one built as a complete fountain. Carrying it back with me by servis/dolmus, however convinced me not to. By the way, do you know that the Arabic word for drinking and smoking is the same, thus "ishrab" (imp.) = drink!/smoke!