Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Book Review Coming Soon

Finally, after a very long delay I have started reading Dr. Ruth Derksen Siemens, ed., Remember Us Letters from Stalin's Gulag (1930-37) Volume One: The Regehr Family. I received the book in the summer, but have not found the time until now to seriously start reading it. The other night I got through the first 158 pages. I will post a proper review of this book when I finish reading the entire thing. But, I will note now that this collection of translated letters from a Mennonite family exiled from Ukraine to a special settlement in the northern Urals in 1931 is extremely powerful. The physical suffering in the special settlement villages due to hunger, disease and inhumane work comes through very clearly in these letters.

No comments: