Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Some very good news (Centre for the Study of Asia at University of Ghana, Legon)

Today I got a letter from the Dean that the proposed Centre for the Study of Asia would encompass all of Asia and not just the Pacific rim. This means that Central Asia will be part of the mandate of the centre. This is very good news. It means that I will potentially be able to use the facilities and resources of the centre to assist in my research, writing, and teaching on the area. It remains to see how this plays out in practice. But, my initial fear that Central Asia was going to be deliberately, permanently, and completely excluded from the mandate and mission statement has now passed. The centre will be dedicated to the study of all areas of Asia including Central Asia. Since a lot of my work deals with Central Asia I am very happy about this outcome.

5 comments:

Withywindle said...

Quote Metternich to him: "Asia begins at the Landstrasse."

Sam Tranum said...

Glad to hear this Orto.

derRach said...

Good news indeed! You should apply today and hold them to it, don't you think?

Randy McDonald said...

http://pollotenchegg.livejournal.com/223099.html

Also, can you e-mail me?

J. Otto Pohl said...

Randy I am not sure I have your e-mail address. Mine is j[dot]ottopohl[the at sign]gmail[dot]com.