Sunday, March 22, 2015

Citations in Journalism, Social Media, and Academia

One of the things I have written about has been the deportation of the Crimean Tatars. For a long time it was a topic, like most of what I have written about, that interested very few people. But, it appears that I do seem to be getting some readers recently. In the last two days I have found this article which cites me, this tweet by a person whose identity completely eludes me, this long drawn out message board debate in Spanish about my second book, and most impressively this academic piece in Russian from a member of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine's Institute of History of Ukraine on the English language historiography of the Crimean Tatars under Stalin and Khrushchev. So that means that there are at least a few people that I did not know about before who have recently been reading some of the stuff I have written. I realize that I am always going to be an extremely marginal figure in the academic world. But, it is nice to know that the extremity of the marginality is just a tiny bit less than it was before. I would never have dreamed that any historians at the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine would ever have heard of me yet alone considered me an important part of the English language historiography on the Crimean Tatars or anything else.

2 comments:

MartyrMade said...

It feels like Christmas. I was reading Brooks' recent NYT column on anti-Semitism, which led me to a New Republic critique of same, which linked to a blog post by a self-described Francophile Zionist named Phoebe. Phoebe's post concerned the idea that anti-Semitism was a 'first-world problem', and it sufficiently irritated me that I was prepared to waste my morning punching out a comment. On my way through the comment section, I saw your reply, then your second and third, and was pleased to see that you had already demolished her more thoroughly than I could have if I'd written a book.

So I held my breath and clicked on your name, hoping this Otto person had a blog. I must have looked like I'd gotten a Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle when I saw that you had ten years and a few thousand posts under your belt. Three degrees removed from David Brooks, I found my reading material for the weekend.

J. Otto Pohl said...

Thanks.