Saturday, January 04, 2014

What I did today

Today I ventured into Accra for the first time in a while. The city is definitely worth seeing a couple of times in everybody's life. Makola Market is unlike any other place on earth. However, be warned if you suffer from agoraphobia you might suffer from a panic attack. It is the largest and most crowded market I have ever been in. If physically bumping into strangers unduly disturbs you then you might want to avoid going through the market. After walking through the market I walked past some of the more notable buildings in Accra including the Post Office, the Supreme Court, and Nkrumah's Mausoleum. Between the Supreme Court and the Mausoleum I got a bag of pure water and a little bit later a roasted plantain right off the grill. The woman selling the plantains wrapped it in 1980s style computer printer paper as is the style here. But, the highlight of my journey was talking to my daughter in Kyrgyzstan on my cheap Nokia mobile phone. The reception near the Gulf of Guinea is exceptionally good for some reason.

2 comments:

Leo Tolstoy said...

This is why you need a camera!

J. Otto Pohl said...

But, I don't know how to take pictures. They always end up being of the ground or my thumb.