Saturday, October 27, 2007

Guest Lecturers

Yesterday I had a guest lecturer speak in front of my Russian Politics course. Unfortunately, only six students showed up to class. But, other than that it went very well. Kristina Gray spoke mostly about the recent history of Ukraine. In particular she focused on the 1932-1933 famine and World War II. She showed a lot of photographs and had a lot of personal stories gathered by her students in Kiev. I am sure that the students that did show up found her approach a welcome change of pace from my usual teaching style. My only visual aid is a blue marker and a white board on which I write and draw things.

I am hoping to have another guest lecturer speak in front of my Political Culture class on 5 November 2007. Greta Uehling has tentatively agreed to speak about the Crimean Tatar return to Crimea on this date. We are covering a chapter from her book on the subject in the course. Since she is going to be in Bishkek anyways I thought it would be a good opportunity for my students to discuss the reading with the author herself.

If anybody else is going to be in Bishkek and would like to speak in front of one of my classes let me know. I can not pay you anything. But, if your talk is good enough I will buy you dinner at the Chinese restaurant a few blocks away.

No comments: