Sunday, August 13, 2006

Long March

This fall I will again not be starting work at a university. Instead I will remain in Arivaca for at least another year. Since I have no teaching experience there is no way I can ever get a job in academia even as an adjunct. This is an insurmountable obstacle. I have found that it can not be overcome by publishing scholarly books and peer reviewed journal articles. So I am going to completely forget about the idea of ever teaching at a North American University. Nobody will ever give me even an interview no matter how much I publish.

Instead I am going to rethink my future. I am also going to try and improve my mind, body and soul a little bit each day. I am going to keep writing. I am almost finished writing Catherine's Grandchildren. I much prefer the idea of writing for real people rather than academics. I am really looking forward to seeing what type of feed back the manuscript gets when I send it out.

4 comments:

Chris O'Byrne said...

What other ideas have you been thinking about?

J. Otto Pohl said...

Chris, right now I don't have any ideas. I am trying to come up with some. Besides Starbucks where can I work with a Ph.D. from SOAS?

Chris O'Byrne said...

I think you need to think of terms of marketing yourself in a new role. Position yourself as an expert. Give talks in different places (for no more than travel expenses, if you need to starting out). Write papers and books. Self-publish. Work as a consultant. Look at all of your strengths and talents. You obviously are strong at writing... and self-discipline. You could go far with this. Send me an email and let's have a longer discussion about this. I'm not looking to get hired, I just want to share ideas with you and find something that works and doesn't involve being a barista.

Chris O'Byrne said...

You can send me an email at peacefulbirder@gmail.com. (You don't have to moderate this post, just delete it.)