Friday, February 25, 2005

Vladimir German and family

About a month a ago Vladimir German contacted me regarding his April immigration hearing. Vladimir and his family are ethnic Germans from Kazakhstan who have been living in working in the US for over 12 years and speak fluent English. In fact his two kids speak almost no Russian and certainly no Kazakh. Yet, despite obeying the law, working hard and having family in the US, the government has decided it wants to deport them back to Kazakhstan. It claims that conditions have improved now. Of course only somebody in the US government would be stupid enough to think that discrimination against people of German descent has ended in Kazakhstan. How come Jews and Cubans get automatic refugee status and Russian-Germans have to prove that they will be killed to avoid deportation? Today, Vladimir's American cousin, LeAnn Tupper sent me a long article on him in the Union-Bulletin (Walla Walla). I am still waiting for Vladimir's lawyer to call me. She sent me an e-mail saying she would call me a week ago. At anyrate the injustice of the matter is beyond blatant.

No comments: